Planning and Zoning Department
**NOTICE OF TEMPORARY CLOSING AND RELOCATION**
Effective Wednesday, July 28, 2021, we will be closing at noon to move back to our newly renovated office at 12007 Courthouse Circle in the County Administration Building Lower Level in our original location and will re-open on Monday, August 2, 2021 at 8:00 AM.
**CONTINUED COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS**
Effective Monday, August 2, 2021, the following procedures apply when visiting the Planning & Zoning Department at 12007 Courthouse Circle:
- our visitors will check in at the Planning & Zoning Department window to take a temperature reading and if you have been fully vaccinated for at least two weeks, you will not need to wear a mask unless you want to.
- you may be asked to complete a screening form prior to conducting business with the Department. You will also receive information about social distancing and face coverings according to the latest New Kent County Emergency Permanent Standards and the Governor's Announcements
- as a reminder, only completed original applications and permits are accepted with the required fee payment at the time of submittal
Your safety is our top priority and we appreciate your continued support.
The Planning Department is responsible for developing and recommending growth management strategies, encouraging aesthetically pleasing development, and ensuring our community grows through positive land use development practices. Specifically, the division is responsible for:
- Assisting in the preparation of the county’s Capital Improvement Program. Section 15.2-2239 of the Code of Virginia requires localities to have capital improvement programs and stipulates that they must include the planning commission’s review and recommendations
- Developing, reviewing, and updating the county’s comprehensive plan and development ordinances. Section 15.2-2223 of the Code of Virginia requires all localities to have a comprehensive plan and set requirements for review and update
- Processing and reviewing rezoning applications, conditional use permits, variances, appeals, administrative modifications, zoning complaints, site plans, and subdivisions. Section 15.2-2240 of the Code of Virginia requires that all localities have subdivision ordinances. Section 10.1-2109 of the Code of Virginia requires all localities in Tidewater Virginia to have zoning ordinances
- Providing accurate and timely demographic and economic data and projections to staff, agencies, boards, commissions, and the general public
- Providing staff support to the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors, including reviewing and providing recommendations on all land use matters presented to the commission and the board