Volunteer Service Opportunities
Orientations for Operational Volunteers are held twice a year. You must register by sending an email to Deputy Chief Lisa Baber.
The dates for 2024 are January 24th and July 24th and will be held at Fire Station 1, 4315 N. Courthouse Road, Providence Forge, VA 23140. The time is 6 pm.
You must complete the volunteer application.
We accept applications anytime; however, orientation is the first step of the process, and the applicant will be scheduled for the closest orientation and notified of the date.
Applications to be an operational volunteer will only be accepted from those who are pre-certified as:
- EMS only-- currently holds certification as an EMT-B and CPR at a minimum
- Fire Fighter only--- currently hold certifications of Firefighter 2 and Emergency Medical Responder at a minimum. Must also have current CPR certification.
- Or both Fire Fighter-EMT
Our requirements for an operational volunteer are:
- Provide a min. 36 hours monthly on shifts
- Complete field training
- Maintain training certifications
- Provide shift schedule monthly
- Honor shifts that you scheduled in advance
- Collaborate with career staff
- Arrive on shift, on time, in uniform and properly groomed
- Follow NKFR policies
- Provide the best possible customer service
For Operational Fire and EMS Volunteer questions, please contact Deputy Fire Chief Baber.
Email Deputy Fire Chief Baber or call (804) 966-9618.
Additional Information, Resources, and Volunteer Opportunities
Citizen Emergency Response Team (CERT) A Citizen Emergency Response Team (CERT) supports local response capability by training volunteers to organize themselves and spontaneous volunteers at the disaster site, to provide immediate assistance to victims, and to collect disaster intelligence to support responders’ efforts when they arrive.
Currently New Kent County has one (1) CERT that was established by the residents of the Brickshire Community.
The Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) and the Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES).
An all-volunteer Amateur Radio organization operating in conjunction with the Virginia Department of Emergency Management to provide back-up communications for the Commonwealth of Virginia and the various counties therein. New Kent 4 Amateur Radio (NK4AR) is the supporting Amateur Radio club for this effort in New Kent County.