General Victim Witness Assistance Information

Important Phone Numbers

  • New Kent Sheriff's Office: 804-966-9500
  • New Kent Social Services: 804-966-1853
  • New Kent Victim-Witness Assistance Program: 804-966-9604
  • New Kent Commonwealth's Attorney's Office: 804-966-5548
  • Adult Protective Service Hotline: 888-832-3858
  • Child Protective Service Hotline: 800-552-7096
  • Shelters and Support:

 Avalon: 757-258-5051,  (See "Domestic Violence Resources")

  • Project Hope: 1-877-966-4357, 804-966-8720

After the Incident

  • You may be contacted by an investigator for a follow-up interview
  • You may be contacted by a victim advocate
  • You may be required to appear in court to testify
  • By law, you are allowed to take time off work for court appearances (VA Code §40.1-28.7:2)
  • Contact law enforcement if you are threatened or intimidated by the accused, companions or friends of the accused, or family members of the accused

Law Enforcement Response

  • When law enforcement responds to an incident of family violence, the law requires officers to:
  • Make an arrest if probable cause exists
  • File a report, regardless if arrest is made
  • Provide information regarding legal and community resources
  • Provide a summary report to abused person, upon request
  • Petition for an Emergency Protective Order, if there is a possibility of further danger
  • Transport (or arrange for transport) the abused person to a hospital, safe shelter or magistrate.
  • If an EPO is obtained, you will be served with a copy
  • If a warrant is obtained, the charges will be prosecuted by the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office, who makes decisions concerning the prosecution of the case

Victim's Rights

As a victim of a crime, you may be entitled to a variety of rights and services under Virginia law, such as:  

Information about:

  • Protection
  • Financial assistance, including social services and Criminal Injuries
  • Compensation Fund 
  • Address & phone number confidentiality 
  • Separate waiting areas 
  • Closed preliminary hearing or closed circuit TV (in sexual assault cases)
  • Remaining in the courtroom during Proceedings 
  • Making a Victim Impact Statement

 Assistance in: 

  • Obtaining protection
  • Recovering property held by law Enforcement
  • Intercession with your employer to attend Court
  • Obtaining advanced notice of court proceedings or plea agreements
  • Receiving the services of an interpreter

Notification of:

  • Bond hearings
  • Changes in court dates
  • Release of an incarcerated defendant
  • Defendant's appeals/Habeas Corpus proceedings or parole hearings (if applicable)

For a complete list of the rights and services available to you, obtain a copy of 'An Informational Guide to Virginia's Crime Victim and Witness Rights Act.'

Some of these rights require a written request. In addition, you must provide your current address and contact information and update that information when it changes.

For more information about your rights as a victim or a witness, or to receive these and other services, contact the New Kent Victim Witness Assistance Program: 

12001 Courthouse Circle, New Kent, VA 23124

Protective Orders

To begin the process:

  1. Complete a Petition at the Court Services Unit (married, shared child, family members) or General District Court Clerk's Office (dating partners). You can:

 - Ask for no further acts of abuse and/or no contact

  - Request temporary possession of a home, vehicle, and/or pet

  - Request temporary custody of children

 2. Receive a hearing date from JDR Court

 3. Appear on the hearing date to explain to the judge why you are seeking a protective order

 - Describe what happened in detail

 - Show any injuries or damaged property

 - Keep your final order in a safe place

 4. Protective Orders do not go into effect until the abuser is served.

List of legal terms (PDF) used for your convenience.