We recognize that news of the developing outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in various countries around the world is alarming. New Kent County officials are working with the New Kent Health Department, as well as various other local, state, federal, and international officials to monitor the impact of COVID-19. We rely upon their resources and guidance during the development of COVID-19.
New Kent County officials continue to monitor the rapid development of COVID-19. The Virginia Department of Health is currently reporting 9 confirmed cases throughout Virginia. While we believe the risk to New Kent County remains low, we continue to work closely with many federal, state, and local agencies to monitor this evolving situation. New Kent County Officials are monitoring daily situational updates published by the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control, and the Virginia Department of Health. A list of additional resources has been provided below that you can review for the most up-to-date information.
In addition to reviewing these resources, there are simple steps that individuals can take to prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses like COVID-19 and Influenza in our community:
- Stay home if you are sick
- Avoid close contact with others and seek medical treatment if necessary.
- If you have a fever, do not return to work or school until you are fever-free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medications.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Clean and disinfect your workspace frequently, even if you are the only one that routinely uses the workspace.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If unable to wash your hands, use an alcohol based sanitizer. CDC: When and How to wash your hands
- Cover your mouth and/or nose when you cough or sneeze with a tissue and discard used tissues in a wastebasket. If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve. CDC: Hygiene Etiquette
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, nose, or face.
- Avoid any unnecessary travel
- Avoid mass-gatherings, or visiting highly-populated public places.
- Avoid contact with individuals who appear sick/ill.
CDC: COVID-19 Fact Sheet
CDC: What to do if you’re sick.
CDC: Stop the Spread of Germs
Virginia Department of Health: COVID-19
WHO: COVID-19 Updates
Should you have additional questions, you may contact:
- The New Kent County Health Department: (804) 966-9640
- The Virginia Department of Health: 1-877-ASK-VDH3 (1-877-215-8343)